A Day in the Garden

12 thoughts on “A Day in the Garden

1. eloisedesousa 07/12/2014 / 6:56 pm

They are all so beautiful and different. I’ve never seen the balloon flower before. We have a similar pod looking flower that is a soft green with hairs on it (never found out its name) but that’s as close to the balloon flower as we can get. Rather fascinating! Thanks for sharing.

• Claudette 08/12/2014 / 8:37 am

Hi Eloise, thanks for commenting. Would love to see a pic of the flower you described, it sounds really interesting.

• eloisedesousa 08/12/2014 / 9:11 pm

I will have to search for it as I have never seen it in England where I live now. It grew in Zimbabwe and grew along a high fence behind my ballet school. We used to spend hours popping the pods and carefully separating each segment which made perfect little boats!

• Claudette 09/12/2014 / 9:22 am

Isn’t it funny the things children do. We used to pop fuchsia blooms (much to my Nan’s distress), and snapdragon plants made great finger puppets.

2. Hugh's Views and News 08/12/2014 / 3:45 am

I’m loving your photos of your garden, Claudette. They make me all warm which is good considering I have feet like ice blocks at the moment.

I hope that snail was ok as I always thought them traveling across gravel was not a good idea.

• Claudette 08/12/2014 / 8:39 am

Yep, snails are fine over gravel, they exude their slippery silver stuff and just slide over it all – it’s salt that they don’t like.

P.S. not much warmer here at the moment, although it is supposed to be summer I’ve yet to feel it.

• Hugh's Views and News 08/12/2014 / 7:54 pm

So now I know why they’ve eaten my plants even with me putting lots of gravel around the base of the plants. Claudette, you should have your own gardening programme. 🙂

Sorry to hear that Summer has not paid you a visit yet. Fingers crossed it will travel south to you soon.

• Claudette 09/12/2014 / 9:21 am

Get that packet of salt out and sprinkle it around your plants, should keep them away (or so I have heard, I’ve never done it myself).
          Today looks like it might at least have some sun, so maybe things are improving on the summer front. 🙂
          Stay warm on the other side of the world.

3. soireadthisbooktoday 09/12/2014 / 5:44 am

I love your flower photos!! I haven’t seen the purple balloon flowers since I was a little girl. They used to amaze me when I was little – they looked like little hot air balloons, then would burst open into such a beautiful flower! The others are gorgeous as well, that one just brought back memories!
    Oh, and thanks for following my blog 😉 Best, Leiah

• Claudette 09/12/2014 / 9:24 am

Thanks Leiah. I actually download two of the authors that left testimonials on your site. Looking forward to reading their words.

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w