They shall grow not old …

Anzac Day.

I was trying to write something about this, but the words could not capture the shiver I get inside, the incipient tears trembling on the verge of falling when I say these words:

“They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old;
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.”       ~ Laurence Binyon

Although those words were written back in 1914, specifically about WW1, they mean more to me than that.  For over a decade, as my first employment, I worked with the Defence Department.  I worked alongside friends and colleagues who might one day be encapsulated by those words.   I remember the worry that I felt at the thought someone I knew might have to go to war, and that stays with me to this day.  I have a stepson in the Navy, and I worry quietly, for his wife, for his son, for his mother and his sisters, for myself, but mostly for him.  I want him to grow old, I want us all to grow old.

I try to imagine what it must have been like for those who did not get a chance to grow old, but I cannot.  I try to imagine what it must have been like for their loved ones who got that news, and I do somewhat as my husband died at 42, but he died surrounded by those he loved, not far away amidst a war.  I live in a country that is not at war.  I cannot imagine the suffering that they endured, that others still endure now in many, many parts of the world.

All I can do is repeat those words, with compassion, with honour, with honest respect and love, and let the tears fall.

From light into darkness
may they find the light again
a place of comfort and of happiness
where peace reigns

© ceenoa

21 thoughts on “They shall grow not old …

1. DeeScribes 25/04/2015 / 1:19 pm

Lovely tribute. I have been struggling to write something of meaning, but instead have enjoyed reading everyone else’s thoughts.

• Claudette 25/04/2015 / 6:53 pm

It is a hard thing. There are so many words written much more articulately and elegantly than mine, but this year I just felt I needed to try.

2. hya21 25/04/2015 / 11:07 pm

Beautifully written. You make me want to cry with you.

• Claudette 26/04/2015 / 9:24 am

Thank you. I’m glad that I got my feelings across. Sometimes it is good to cry for the right reasons.

3. dunelight 26/04/2015 / 4:51 am

Gallipoli…it feels immediate but was over a hundred years ago. Thank you for your thoughtful post.

• Claudette 26/04/2015 / 9:28 am

It is strange, isn’t it. Time passes, immediate hurts heal, for a nation, for a world, but the memories that we choose to keep grow more powerful. Thank you for taking the time to comment, I appreciate it.

4. Hugh's Views and News 26/04/2015 / 5:54 am

This is a wonderful tribute to those who gave us their lives so we could be free, Claudette. Great words and beautifully written.

• Claudette 26/04/2015 / 9:29 am

Thank you Hugh. It is good to remember where a nations pride comes from, and the sacrifices that support it.

5. Muzzy 26/04/2015 / 4:47 pm

G’day Claudette,
    Our thanks to these noble people of long ago, and to those fighting still to protect that that what was so costly to achieve, cannot be reiterated enough, albeit you have done them proud

• Claudette 27/04/2015 / 7:05 am

Thanks. just my little drop of gratitude, amongst the ocean. but it all counts.

• Claudette 27/04/2015 / 5:30 pm

Thank you Karen, It’s good others feel that my words have merit. It’s sometimes so hard to know if what you are trying to say got across.