Emotography – Week 49/2016

christmas-beetle-2

Christmas

A little Christmas Beetle,
iridescent armour shining in the sun,
more beautiful than fairy lights,
or tinsel on the tree,
a living, breathing bauble,
and Festive was her name.

24 thoughts on “Emotography – Week 49/2016

1. lindywhitton 18/12/2016 / 8:47 am

I recognise her. She does look festive!

• Claudette 18/12/2016 / 9:43 am

I love those metallic colours, the bronze, green and blue/purple on the legs.

2. Lily 18/12/2016 / 11:20 am

For a insect so eww, this one is beautiful with it’s rainbow colours.

• Claudette 19/12/2016 / 7:14 pm

Yes. I’m not generally an insect kind of person, but these are nice. My Mum told me how they used to wear them as brooches when she was a child.

• Lily 19/12/2016 / 8:05 pm

Really? Now that’s interesting. I wonder how that process worked. (imagines someone sticking a huge pin in beetle and fastening to dress) I could see why they wore them. The shape and colouring would make a lovely brooch.

• Claudette 19/12/2016 / 8:20 pm

Ha, their legs are spiky, and I suppose they used their mandibles to chomp the cloth too.

3. macmsue 18/12/2016 / 9:53 pm

Aren’t they just gorgeous? I found one on its back the other day and am amazed how they just seem to appear at Christmas time.

• Claudette 19/12/2016 / 7:16 pm

I read an article, it is when they emerge from their immature state (or something like that). Was quite interesting reading about them.

4. C. J. Hartwell 20/12/2016 / 2:09 am

Wow, she/he is beautiful! I wonder if she/he is aware of it? They must be the supermodels of the beetle kingdom. 🙂

• Claudette 21/12/2016 / 9:34 am

They have a short life span, so maybe they are just focussed on living – we could learn from that 😉

• Claudette 23/12/2016 / 5:28 pm

Have to google them, being an Aussie I’m not sure what they are 🙂

• Daal 23/12/2016 / 5:29 pm

oh – I’m in Los Angeles – they like to eat figs especially, so sometimes they’re called fig bugs – bright & shiny like a gas slick, but mostly moss greenish

• Daal 23/12/2016 / 5:28 pm

do they sort of hover, rather than really fly, bump into things as if they’re blind? the way June bugs do?

• Claudette 23/12/2016 / 5:30 pm

I have only ever seen them crawling on the ground. Google says they are clumsy fliers.