Winter Solstice

Winter Solstice night brought the first rain we have had in over a month. The power went off twice, giving me an excuse to light the candles. In the morning there was a lovely crisp frost to make everything sparkle.

CandlesFrost Bud largeFrosted Agapanthus HeadsFrosted Silver Birch Seeds

23 thoughts on “Winter Solstice

1. Jesska 23/06/2017 / 7:34 pm

Oooh!!! That’s pretty šŸ™‚ Excuses (and time) for candles are almost always super. Except maybe Moskitos (citronella candles are no matche for the flying beasts we have in the garden this year šŸ˜¦ )
    Glad you can see the sparkle, even in the middle of winter ā˜†

• Claudette 25/06/2017 / 7:08 pm

They are pretty, and it seems we do need excuses to use them, otherwise they just gather dust. It’s always good to recognise a sparkle šŸ™‚

2. Miriam 23/06/2017 / 8:59 pm

Beautiful flowers. Any excuse is a good excuse to light candles šŸ’•

3. wdfyfe 24/06/2017 / 12:56 am

Beautiful! I wish I had your skill with the camera I’d show you our Summer Solstice roses.

• Claudette 25/06/2017 / 7:12 pm

Do it anyway, I would love to see them. I really don’t have any skill, it’s just a point and click, I’m not a real photographer, I don’t have the patience required for that. šŸ™‚

4. C. J. Hartwell 24/06/2017 / 7:49 am

Pretty!
    We hardly ever have power outages anymore. I know it’s because of improved technology and all that, but gosh I miss them.

• Claudette 25/06/2017 / 7:12 pm

Thanks. It was a bit of a surprise, doesn’t happen often, but it does make you realise howm uch you rely on electricity!! šŸ™‚

5. Brian Lageose 24/06/2017 / 9:24 am

I really like the frosted bud. (And I’m a little jealous that things are so frosty there, as I stare out the window and watch the sidewalk melt…)

• Claudette 25/06/2017 / 7:14 pm

Ah, I can mail you some ice if you like šŸ™‚ Hope the melting side walks stop soon, I wouldn’t be able to function at that level of heat.

6. Osyth 24/06/2017 / 9:07 pm

Proof that every season is beautiful … here we in high summer of course and basking in long days but candles are not needed and there is no sparkle of frost to tantalise the eye. Your pictures …. your pictures are splendidly evocative of the spritz and shine of winter.

• Claudette 25/06/2017 / 7:18 pm

Thankk you Osyth. Up until that night we really had not had any Winter – just a long warm Autumn. Ever since Solstice, it has been chillier, and we have had rain (not heavy, but cold) and grey skies, and today there is snow on the higher mountains. Seems like Winter realised it was late and has put a little hurry on before the days stretch out longer. šŸ™‚

• Osyth 25/06/2017 / 8:03 pm

My husband says that Nature always rebalances herself when left alone to do so and that weather patterns tend to prove that. šŸ˜Š

• Claudette 26/06/2017 / 5:20 pm

A wise man, your husband. I find it comical that we try to impose months on the seasons, as if nature ever wants to run to any order of ours.

• Osyth 26/06/2017 / 6:00 pm

He has his moments šŸ˜€ And indeed it is comical … pathetically so!!

• Claudette 26/06/2017 / 5:19 pm

She is a sharing, caring kind of season. We’ll have her back when you finish admiring her šŸ™‚