Two Stories

once i was young and lissome,
a tight bud of youth in my prime,
now I am crinkled and shrivelled
as happens to all in time.

once I had velvet complexion,
as soft as the dew of the dawn,
now life’s wear and tear is evident,
in a visage that looks tired and worn.

once all the youth surrounded me,
i was sheltered and shaded, and strong,
now all that freshness has faded,
and yet, some beauty lives on.

ยฉ ceenoa

22 thoughts on “Two Stories

1. lindywhitton 19/07/2018 / 6:47 pm

How true- and how well put! Love this one.

2. Miriam 19/07/2018 / 7:24 pm

Thereโ€™s always beauty within. Love this ๐ŸŒนโค๏ธ

• Claudette 20/07/2018 / 6:57 pm

Thanks Mum, I just liked that the rose could have both sides on the same stem.

3. Ali 19/07/2018 / 10:31 pm

Iโ€™d say your beauty has become richer; multi-faceted, eloquent, all encompassing. As you get older you donโ€™t need others to validate your beauty and your beauty cannot be suppressed or sullied or denied. It comes out in your creative power. You have unlimited beauty.

• Claudette 20/07/2018 / 6:59 pm

What a glorious thing to say, thanks Ali. Nice to think on those words on the days when the mirror tries to depress us.

4. Osyth 20/07/2018 / 1:23 am

And just like the rose fading from itโ€™s first dew-kissed bloom to the raddled rusty flower still protecting itโ€™s few youthful petals, we donโ€™t notice a thing – it just happens and that too is a wonder of nature (and not to be interfered with by surgeons knife nor injected potions) … that inside we feel exactly as we ever did whilst externally gently decaying. I loved this. Really and truly loved it.

• Claudette 20/07/2018 / 7:00 pm

I love how you have described it Osyth, and yes, that is what it feels like.

• Claudette 20/07/2018 / 7:01 pm

Thank you Mr B, I appreciate your reticence in using the word lovely – it’s good to know you can be sparing in your praise. ๐Ÿ™‚ :-

5. wdfyfe 20/07/2018 / 3:18 pm

I love the grace of age and you’ve stated it very well.

• Claudette 20/07/2018 / 7:02 pm

Thank you WD. It is something that I am coming around to thinking is a good thing – but it can be a slow process some days. ๐Ÿ™‚

6. Paul Sunstone 21/07/2018 / 4:31 pm

I’d say quite a bit of beauty lives on as we age. We may even gain some. But why do we so often tell ourselves our youth was the prime of our lives?

• Claudette 22/07/2018 / 6:07 pm

Valid points. I’m not sure, perhaps that is a point to ponder as we get older.

7. Quirky Girl 24/07/2018 / 4:22 am

Lovely pics. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and what one person might find to be glorious, another may see only what they chose to see. There’s beauty in everything when we search for it. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Claudette 24/07/2018 / 6:24 pm

There is indeed. Sometimes I think we need to make a harder effort to find it though, at least I know I need to.

8. CJ Hartwell 24/07/2018 / 11:27 am

I loved this!
    I’ve found the roses smell sweeter, only adding to their beauty. That seems fitting too. ๐Ÿ™‚

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )