Laying it Out

I collected these leaves from my garden and then I played with layouts for a new resin art piece I am going to create.

Gum Leaves
Dried Gum Leaves

I like to use a frame, and then take a photograph, as it helps me “see” them better.

I wanted to use the ferns branching out from the corners, but I couldn’t get a design to work that I really liked. I think the last frame in this set is the best.

I made minor adjustments to the seeds in each of these frames below, and it’s interesting to see how each small variation impacts on the flow of the piece.

My favourite is #4 then #2 (I think) .

This was a fun exercise, but I will probably go with the first arrangement I tried (below), because I like it’s simplicity, and the fuzzy lichen on the twig.

Layout Design Options (1)
Leaves and Lichen

21 thoughts on “Laying it Out

1. Dick Dastardly 13/03/2020 / 9:45 pm

Difficult to pick my favourite as they are all superb. Maybe, with the ferns, it would be an idea for the ferns to be placed in the bottom corners to look more natural. Having the artistic nous of a baboon I could be talking balderdash again though.

• Claudette 16/03/2020 / 7:22 pm

Thans Dick πŸ™‚ The thing i like is that we all have preferences to how we thin things look good, and sometimes we can’t “see” things til others point them out.

• Claudette 16/03/2020 / 7:23 pm

Thanks Judi. I still can’t settle on an option yet.

2. skybright1 13/03/2020 / 11:24 pm

Number 6 still appeals to me. I think the vertical format suits the picture very well and I do like the “flow” in that one.
    I also like the lichen but maybe in a different arrangement?
    But hey, I am not the artist and never will be!
    Happy working!

• Claudette 16/03/2020 / 7:24 pm

Huh, you are an artist – you paint (with actual pastels and paint)- which I can’t πŸ™‚ You are also an artist when you write words. hanks for your input Mum.

3. Osyth 15/03/2020 / 3:12 am

I’ve been out of action and out of the loop for a very long time, so finding you on vintage form is a real tonic for me as I blink in the sunlight and stagger towards normality once more (whatever the heck normal is!).

• Claudette 16/03/2020 / 7:26 pm

So glad to see your name here πŸ™‚ Welcome. I have been an absent person a fair bit too, just popping in now and again to see how this world is going. Hope your life is happy and full of love, and that you and yours are all safe in this weird world at the moment.

• Osyth 18/03/2020 / 4:35 am

I hope you have been absent for positive reasons. I know you understand depression and anxiety so in my case – that. But I am fortunate to have a husband who has not wavered in his care and sweet understanding and I now feel like me again. Here it is utter chaos. We are safe but I do believe by the time this virus has been controlled (whatever the heck that might mean) that we will all have been touched albeit lightly in most cases – not just as an illness but the ricocheting repercussions economically. As an aside, The Husband With Two Brains spent 3 weeks in Tasmania last year and when we are able to travel again, he will be returning, this time with me. I do hope so.

• Claudette 25/03/2020 / 8:59 pm

Oh, do let me know if you come, would love to have coffee, when such things are possible again. I haven’t had anything bad happen, just general lapse in this area of ‘sociability’ i guess. I seem to be retreating more from things, and yet i miss this too. Perhaps that will change in these weird times, i am not sure. I can say it is nice to see people i feel drawn to still welcome my sporadic visits.

• Osyth 25/03/2020 / 11:21 pm

I certainly will …. that would be lovely and something to look forward to when a new dawn is achieved. It’s always good to see you and believe me, I understand the need to retreat πŸ˜‰

4. wdfyfe 15/03/2020 / 4:23 am

I like #2 but to me they all look good. I work in words and have always be amazed at people like you who have and artist’s eye. cheers

• Claudette 16/03/2020 / 7:28 pm

Well, I am amzaed how you wor in words, so I guess we have an happy cross-appreciation thing going on. Thanks for liking what I do.

• wdfyfe 17/03/2020 / 2:20 am

I’ve always admired visual artists and, to be honest, sometimes I’m a bit jealous.

• Claudette 25/03/2020 / 8:53 pm

Aw, jealousy is good, in very minute doses. Never forget your own talents are admired and someone is jealous of you.

5. Brian Lageose 17/03/2020 / 4:30 am

I like them all, but I agree that the final “Fern, Seed and Twigs” is really nice…

6. Christi 17/03/2020 / 11:27 am

I’m with Brian. Fern, Seed and Twigs speaks to me. πŸ˜‰

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )