Do you know?

A classic story, lives spun around
a world a whirl
a boy and girl

the day is long, but moments short
an itch to soothe
a rock to move

decisions loom, like hydra heads
a choice to make
a road to take

Β© 19/5/2014

23 thoughts on “Do you know?

1. Jennifer G. Knoblock 20/05/2014 / 12:46 am

I really like the way you play with sounds here.

• Claudette 20/05/2014 / 6:34 am

Thank you Jennifer, appreciate your kind words.

2. jenbrunett 20/05/2014 / 3:52 am

love this “decisions loom, like hydra heads” Very nice take!

• Claudette 20/05/2014 / 6:36 am

Your positive words are very welcome. Sometimes it’s hard to know if what you are trying to say comes across, so nice to get appreciative comments.

3. angieinspired 20/05/2014 / 7:12 am

I always love to see poetry here! And the rhymes are nice couplet endings.

• Claudette 20/05/2014 / 7:30 am

Thank you, it is one of my favourite ways to write.

4. KymmInBarcelona 20/05/2014 / 7:30 am

Love the hydra heads!

• Claudette 20/05/2014 / 7:34 am

Thanks, that’s how they feel to me sometimes.

5. Christine 20/05/2014 / 7:48 am

*Love* the idea of decisions like hydra heads. How very true that is. I feel like there are a couple of different ways to read this poem, and I love that. Really great response to the question. Thanks for linking it up!

• Claudette 20/05/2014 / 6:24 pm

Thanks Christine for your great comment. I did have an certain slant in my mind when I wrote this, so would be interested to know what ideas you got from it. It is certainly possible that it could mean a couple of different things to other people also. Words are tricksy like that.

6. C.C. 20/05/2014 / 9:18 am

This is so vivid and poetic. Excellent πŸ™‚

• Claudette 20/05/2014 / 6:31 pm

Thank you indeed, Just quickly perused your latest blog posts and I am now following. You have a strong writing style that I want to know more about. πŸ™‚

7. innatejames 20/05/2014 / 12:53 pm

You have a finessed way of coming into a subject cock-eyed. This could have been a simple boy meets girl poem, but you introduce whirls and hydras and an ultimatum. Very nicely written, Claudette.

• Claudette 20/05/2014 / 6:35 pm

You are so kind Nate. My mind does indeed work in whirls and hydra heads. I think I need a bigger axe for them. πŸ™‚

8. Thewitch 20/05/2014 / 11:47 pm

Delicious!!! I love that imagery!! I am off to douse my head in indigo to try and find my poetic soul!! πŸ˜€

• Claudette 21/05/2014 / 7:30 am

Hope that works for you, maybe it is the silver (dare I say Grey) that makes me “poetic” πŸ™‚

9. atrm61 21/05/2014 / 5:09 am

Fabulous-loved the phrase,”decisions loom, like hydra heads” πŸ™‚

10. Muzzy 05/06/2014 / 3:43 pm

G’day Claudette,
    Being a died in the wool rhymer I thoroughly enjoyed your poem, the unusual way of rhyming the last two lines of the stanza was such a strong way to accentuate your point, well done

• Claudette 05/06/2014 / 5:04 pm

I must confess, I don’t know one form of poetry from another, I just type what my brain leaks out, sometimes it goes one way, sometimes another. Also, a bit of a “heathen” in that poetry to me means “ryhme”. Just the way I was raised πŸ™‚