Writing 101 – Day 4: Loss (Part 1)

Day Four, Writing 101 – Loss:  Write about a loss (something or someone).

When I look in the mirror I see it, something missing.  The spark from my eye, the smile from my lips, the colour from my hair.  Where did it go?  The years have taken something, and left a slightly lesser me, an older, shrunken, washed out version of who I used to be.  It surprises me!  Why? because my inner me, my core self-perception image, is still sparkly, spry, sleek and springy.  I don’t match my outside anymore, and my reflection catches me off guard in that moment and makes me look twice to see who this person is.

It’s a loss that starts slowly, years before you truly notice it, a single grey hair, a crinkle around the eyes, a few dark spots on your skin.  But, one day, you look, and there she is, this person who you don’t recognise, changed from the inner to the outer vision.  There is no going back, you can’t arrest time and press the rewind button.  You can’t regain what is lost, as time marches steadily on.

All that is left to learn from this loss is acceptance.

….to be continued

18 thoughts on “Writing 101 – Day 4: Loss (Part 1)

1. skybright1 06/06/2014 / 8:08 pm

But when acceptance arrives, serenity also comes in the door, and your inner self and outer self begin to merge much more amicably, until wisdom becomes possible {we hope!}.

2. Hugh's Views and News 06/06/2014 / 10:32 pm

I love your take on this assignment, Claudette. Just so true for all of us, which starts slowly and then seems to gather pace as we get older.

• Claudette 07/06/2014 / 10:01 am

Oh yes, I am rolling down the other side, gathering speed

• Hugh's Views and News 07/06/2014 / 6:14 pm

I’m rolling down that hill with you, but I’m pretty certain we will stop from time to time too take in the view and have some light refreshments. I’ll put the kettle on 🙂

• Claudette 07/06/2014 / 6:18 pm

A good cuppa would be very acceptable 🙂

3. shazzameena 07/06/2014 / 3:54 am

In my work I often meet with older women and they all say they still feel 25 inside!

4. liamiman 07/06/2014 / 5:03 am

Realizing that I’m not as young as I feel is something I’ve come to accept in the last couple of years.

5. Thewitch 07/06/2014 / 6:00 pm

I just take my glasses off when I look on the mirror so I am permanently in delicious soft focus!!! 😀

• Claudette 07/06/2014 / 6:01 pm

Ggood idea, however it’s my hands that I notice it most on these days though, can’t soft focus them.

• Thewitch 07/06/2014 / 6:07 pm

Haemmorhoid cream!! Tis wonderful!! Works miracles on your hands!! Probably works miracles where it’s supposed to as well, but luckily that is one affliction I have escaped!!!! 😀

• Claudette 07/06/2014 / 6:09 pm

Yeah, think I have heard that before, Better be trying it out then, as I’m starting to dislike intensely these overgrown freckles.