Christmas in Tasmania

This poem was prompted by the poem Hugh wrote that I read this morning, got me thinking what signals Christmas to me.

Raspberries and Strawberries,
picked fresh from the bush,
the smell of fresh cut hay,
on a summers evening hush.

A thunderstorm with lightning,
flashing in the dark,
the mouth-watering aroma ,
wafting from bbq’s in the park.

All of this says Christmas,
in the place that I call home,
my island state of Oz land,
what means Christmas where you’re from?

© ceenoa

9 thoughts on “Christmas in Tasmania

1. Hugh's Views and News 19/12/2014 / 3:07 am

I love it! If you put your poem and my poem together and read them both, just look at how different they are in terms of what Christmas means by living in different hemispheres. You could say it’s like chalk and cheese or savoury and sweet. When I read yours, I was there with you, Claudette. Get the BBQ on and I’ll get the suntan cream and sun umbrella. Oh, and not forgetting a few bottles of chilled wine.

• Claudette 19/12/2014 / 9:18 am

I know, that is why I had to write it. Christmas is always portrayed as cold and snow, but over half of the world it isn’t like that. I think we should get some media representation equality happening at Christmas. 🙂

I’ll make sure I keep a few extra bottles of wine for you Hugh. 🙂

• Claudette 19/12/2014 / 8:36 pm

Watch out for the boomerang Hugh, ’cause those wishes are coming right back at you 🙂

I hope peace, prosperity and potential are yours in 2015

2. hya21 20/12/2014 / 1:12 am

Hmm. You’re tempting me to actually write something….

• Claudette 20/12/2014 / 9:34 am

Go on – would love to know what Christmas looks like where you are ….please

3. DeeScribes 21/12/2014 / 5:30 am

I experienced Christmas in Tasmania in 1990 while living in Kingston as a Rotary Youth Exchange Student. Coming from upstate NY, USA, where Christmas means snow and cold I loved the difference. I didn’t feel homesick at all because we were out in the sun. Thank you for reminding me of that fun year.

• Claudette 21/12/2014 / 9:23 am

I’m glad my post brought back some memories. Kingston is a nice place to be, close to the beach.

Wishing you all the best. 🙂