For Hugh – A Poem about a Cow and a Wedding

I wrote this poem for Hugh, over at Hughs Views and News, after he made a comment on this post.

I milked the cow in the morning,
on the day that I was wed,
a daily chore I deemed worth doing,
which made me rise, extra early from my bed.

The comforting sound of chewing,
her flank so warm, and soft as silk,
rhythmic sounds of fluid streaming,
as the bucket filled with milk.

I leaned my head against my cow,
and gentle handed squeezed,
as in my head I said my vows,
repeated now with familiar ease.

I milked the cow in the morning,
of the day that I was wed,
and in contrast to her cream white milk,
I married in a suit of red.

A Suit of Red
A Suit of Red

12 thoughts on “For Hugh – A Poem about a Cow and a Wedding

1. Hugh's Views and News 31/01/2015 / 3:08 am

Wow, that is one fantastic poem about milking a cow on your Wedding Day. I love the very last verse…No I love all of it, but the last verse is my favourite. Now if we could have just had a picture of you in that suit of red, then that would have topped this post off. I think this poem is very unique as I’ve never heard or read about anyone milking a cow on the morning of their Wedding before.

Thanks for taking up the challenge, Claudette. πŸ™‚

• Claudette 31/01/2015 / 9:53 am

Hey Hugh, I was going to put 2 photos in, one of me milking the cow (but sadly it was an end on photo of the cow and a bit off-putting), and the other of my wedding suit. In the end I thought to just go with the poem. Thanks for liking it. I was only going to do the last verse, but it expanded as I though it was rather short. Now I’ll have to think of a challenge for you!

• Hugh's Views and News 31/01/2015 / 11:43 pm

Oh, I knew you were telling the truth, Claudette, and may I say what a beautifull Bride you make as well. If you ever do publish this poem in a book or in a magazine, I think you should call it “A Suit of Red”. It just so compliments the poem. Great stuff, and you’ve made my day by adding that picture πŸ™‚

• Marigold 06/02/2015 / 12:30 am

I decided to scroll back through your archive Claudette, saw the photo and thought, hm, I liked this post, and I remember the poem, but not the photo. Figured I’d find the answers in the comments! πŸ˜‰ Nice suit.

• Claudette 06/02/2015 / 6:41 am

Thanks Marigold. I think I need to do some archive scrolling of my own, it’s nearly been ayear of blogging for me and I have forgotten all the stuff I’ve put on it πŸ™‚

2. Vashti Quiroz-Vega 07/05/2015 / 6:51 am

What a sweet and quirky poem––love it! You had cute little cows as your wedding cake toppers and got married in red? You’re my kind of people. Ha, ha! πŸ˜‰

3. ChristineR 23/05/2015 / 8:55 am

Oh wow, what a wonderful poem. You really have a clever way of creating images with your words, this one was helped by my knowing what it is like to milk a cow and to wear a red wedding dress – just I’ve never done those on the same day or even in the same decade. Lovely. I can smell hot milk, hay and cow smells. Cows have to be milked, no matter the occasion. ❀

• Claudette 23/05/2015 / 9:15 am

They certainly do Christine, and I think the smell of a warm cow on a cold morning is something I will never forget, earthy and real and comforting.