Echidna Crossing

Driving North on Wednesday I happened to spot an echidna crossing the highway. The road was empty so I pulled to the side to take a photo.

Echidna Crossing (2)

Just then a huge semi came barreling down the road and drove over the top of “Echi”.  It was with great relief that I saw the there was no squashing effect as “Echi” wobbled off across the road a little more, but then another semi and a car came down and drove over “Echi”.  Again, immense sigh as “Echi” emerged unscathed, however, it appeared that being run over multiple times had confused “Echi’s” sense of direction, so now they were heading back to the original side they started from … and straight towards my car.

Echidna Crossing (1)

Good opportunity for some photos I thought, so I snapped away, but then “Echi” walked right under MY car – and didn’t come out the other side! Hopping out I looked under the car, and there “Echi” was, hard up against the inner of my tyre! (Why I didn’t think to take a photo of that I do not know).

I gently poked “Echi” with a stick to encourage movement – but no good. What to do, what to do? A few more pokes and all that was achieved was to make “Echi” dig in to the ground. After a little thinking I decided to gently move the car forward and angle closer to the edge of the road – all the time cringing to feel a bump that would mean bad things for “Echi”.

Having done so I hopped out to see if that had made “Echi” move, and this is what I saw:

Echidna from behind

Echidna Front on

I am happy to report that “Echi” was still digging into the road as I drove off.

35 thoughts on “Echidna Crossing

1. macmsue 16/10/2015 / 7:17 pm

The first shot is great, I’ve never managed a photo of one walking, I’ve seen a few crossing roads but never in a place I’ve been able to stop.

• Claudette 17/10/2015 / 10:24 am

Thanks. I too had never been close enough to really see them walking, their whole body kind of undulates. 🙂

2. skybright1 16/10/2015 / 9:45 pm

“Echi” probably lives with the mistaken attitude that his prickles will save him from semis, cars,photographers who stop their vehicles just where he wanted a sleep etc. Well he survived, so maybe its NOT a mistaken attitude! What part of him is that at the back in the second pic? Looks like a hoof? Or is it something on the road? Bet you were re-running Pam Ayers and “squashed and dead and flat” a few times though!

• Claudette 17/10/2015 / 10:25 am

Yes, Pam Ayers and hedgehogs was on a loop in my brain for the rest of the week.

• Claudette 17/10/2015 / 10:26 am

It’s his foot with his toenails pointing out (or maybe spurs, do echidnas have spurs?).

• Claudette 17/10/2015 / 10:28 am

Hi Hugh, well when I say run over I mean he/she was lucky enough to be between the wheels of the vehicle, so only the body of the car passed over him, not the wheels. Still scary though.

• Claudette 18/10/2015 / 10:02 am

Osyth also wondered that – I hope they have more as they are so unique, and you don’t actually see them very often. I think it must be the time of year for them now though.

3. bythebriny 17/10/2015 / 11:51 am

Looks like he’s trying to tunnel under the road to get to the other side. Hope he made it. 😉

• Claudette 18/10/2015 / 9:58 am

Well, he/she went somewhere as when I came back that way 2 days later there was no echidna on the side of the road 🙂

4. Osyth 17/10/2015 / 6:50 pm

Little thing! Oh I do hope that it’s not a cat thing and that he has worn out several of his nine lives. Wonderful photos and why on earth I wasn’t following you I can’t imagine … .now rectified 🙂

• Claudette 18/10/2015 / 10:00 am

🙂 I’m hoping that they are just good at mentally deflecting vehicles when they cross the road, they seem to have no concept of danger in that regard and just waddle away.
      The Hedgehog poem by Pam Ayers always pops into my head when I think of this.
      Thanks for the follow, btw. Have a great weekend.

• Osyth 18/10/2015 / 5:12 pm

The follow is my pleasure – I can’t think why I wasn’t!! As for spiny little creatures they seem to be the same the world over …. Pam Ayres got it perfectly. By the way, I lived in her childhood village for years and two of my daughters went to her school!!

• Claudette 20/10/2015 / 6:10 pm

Wow. I loved reading her poems, and my Mum had tapes with her recordings on them. Fantastic how much listening to her recite them added to the experience, her voice suited the words just right.

• Osyth 20/10/2015 / 8:43 pm

She has the status of Royalty in the area and rightly so. It’s great that your mum had tapes of her … I’m off to see if I can find her on CD!

5. kazg10 18/10/2015 / 1:31 pm

Great post Claudette, I was reading and holding my breath at the same time hoping for a happy ending! Thank goodness it was. Lucky little thing and great shots too 🙂

• Claudette 20/10/2015 / 6:06 pm

Thanks Karen. I admit I shut my eyes a cringed as they trucks rolled over the top.

6. Brian Lageose 18/10/2015 / 4:45 pm

This is actually a very sweet little story. I’m glad “Echi” survived and you were there to capture his erratic but successful adventures. (Perhaps it was your good karma vibes that helped the little spike-ball to continue his journey in life, hmm?) Maybe you can friend him on Facebook and send documentary photos for his diary? 😉

• Claudette 20/10/2015 / 6:08 pm

Hi Brian, I was very glad that it had a happy ending, especially when later in the day I saw evidence of another that did not.
      I don’t think “Echi” is facebook literate, (not having wifi built into the spikes whilst roaming around the countryside) however I will gladly post update status if I ever bump into them again. 🙂

7. denis1950 19/10/2015 / 8:49 pm

This was a lucky little Echidna Claudette. So often down in Tassy there seems to be a lot of wildlife wandering and sadly roadkill.

• Claudette 20/10/2015 / 6:12 pm

Hi Denis, yes I was only noticing today as i was driving to work that there seems to be a lot of spring life that now isn’t springing! Maybe it is because we have such an abundance of wildlife, or more rural areas.

8. RuthsArc 21/10/2015 / 7:56 am

Lovely photos and a happy ending after his dramatic journey. You are having a few echnida adventures recently.

• Claudette 21/10/2015 / 5:45 pm

yes, 🙂 must be the season for the little critters to be out and about.

9. hya21 24/10/2015 / 12:39 pm

Thanks for the great pictures. Never seen one of those here.

• Claudette 25/10/2015 / 10:21 am

The echidna and the platypus are monotremes – egg laying mammals – just a bit weird like all good Australians. 🙂

10. joannesisco 06/01/2016 / 11:34 pm

I’m visiting via ChristineR. I didn’t know what an echidna was but was relieved to hear he successfully managed to avoid being run-over … more than once!! I guess I would be inclined to burrow a nest to rest in too after that ordeal 🙂

• Claudette 07/01/2016 / 5:37 pm