Exploring Acrylic Pouring

Yes, I meant it to rhyme!

I had fun today playing around with acrylic pouring.  I’ve been watching videos of it on Youtube for the last few days and decided I wanted to have a go.  Pretty happy with how it went, and think I may be doing this again real soon.

My favourite is the last one (excuse the bad photo, the lighting wasn’t good in the kitchen by the time I finished doing it).  It is true fire engine red, with tones of black, and I was so happy to see the cells form that large.

26 thoughts on “Exploring Acrylic Pouring

• Claudette 12/06/2017 / 9:35 am

Thanks Allie, that one is my second favourite so far, I really liked the colour combination.

1. Osyth 12/06/2017 / 5:26 am

Wow … really, truly stunning. I do love that last one … the shapes are incredible. All of them are fantastically organic 😊

• Claudette 12/06/2017 / 9:38 am

So glad you liked them Osyth. Yes, the red is my favourite, the cells formed really nicely, and I love the simplicity of just the 2 colours. They are drying now and I can see that I probably did not pour on enough paint as I am starting to see the texture of the canvas underneath, but it is all a learning experience, and I am really really happy with how they turned out for my first attempt.

• Osyth 12/06/2017 / 4:42 pm

That is nice place to be … so happy with the first go. Many happy experiments to come!

• Claudette 12/06/2017 / 5:10 pm

Oh, I’ve done lots today, some worked (kind of) and some didn’t, but I had fun, and got a really lovely one at the last pour again today.

• Osyth 12/06/2017 / 5:33 pm

My husband quotes an old colleague often who used to say ‘you must learn to know when enough is good enough’ … it seems to me that your paint is doing the job for you by giving consistently saving the best til last!!

• Osyth 13/06/2017 / 6:17 pm

I know he is but I’m darned if I can practice the wisdom all the time!!!

• Claudette 13/06/2017 / 6:21 pm

I understand what you are saying. I also wonder why it is that non-wisdom is so attractive to us?

• Claudette 12/06/2017 / 5:06 pm

Thanks WD, glad you liked that one, it’s my favourite (I may have said that!!!).

• Claudette 12/06/2017 / 9:39 am

I’m trying to get my “creative” working again Ruth 🙂 This is a good way to increase it. Thanks for your kind words.

2. Brian Lageose 12/06/2017 / 1:29 pm

I like them all, but I’d have to go with #3 as my fave. I just really like the colors, even though the cells aren’t as distinct as the others…

• Claudette 12/06/2017 / 5:08 pm

Hi Brian, I like some of the colours in that one, the Burnt Sienna made it look a bit earthy, but yes, there wasn’t much cell forming going on! Think this one is a mutant (I didn’t spray any silicone into it, nor get the mix/pour right) Still, practice makes perfect, and I did lots today too.

3. Lily 12/06/2017 / 8:36 pm

Damn, I wish I was this creative. Really like the 3rd one, but the red is definitely my favourite. On a large canvas, both of these would take pride on my wall.

• Claudette 13/06/2017 / 6:19 pm

I am working up to the bigger canvases – just got to make sure I get the technique right. I have drooled at so many Youtube videos of people doing this, it is so hypnotising to watch. I suffer from YSOAA) younger sister of an artist syndrome – but this is something anyone can do if they get the paint mix right -and cheap as to try at the start, and strangely soothing. 🙂 Well I am a world famous fluid artist I shall present you a HUGE canvas (P.S. you don’t want to be holding your breath for that) 😉

• Lily 14/06/2017 / 5:17 pm

Ooh, a signed Ceenoa artwork! Similarly, when I become a world famous authour (not sure why I can’t say that without laughing out loud) I too shall gift you with my first novel…in case you need something to burn on those cold nights. 😉

Btw, I suffer from OYBMJOSAS. Older yet bitter mother jealous of son’s artistic skills.

• Claudette 14/06/2017 / 6:15 pm

Laughing, these syndromes are nasty things! 🙂
          I shall look forward to the book – I have an A/C so won’t need to burn it 🙂

4. C. J. Hartwell 14/06/2017 / 9:05 am

The red one puts me in mind of science class, in a good way. Looks like a fun method to let your creativity run wild!

• Claudette 14/06/2017 / 12:28 pm

It is, and there is a bit of science in the way the paint reacts to movement and colours.

• Claudette 03/08/2017 / 8:58 pm

Thanks. I’m having great fun, even if I do not have great skill 🙂

5. pearllayke2017 06/08/2017 / 1:28 pm

These are so beautiful! And you’ve inspired me to give it a try too! Thanks so much for sharing.