Sunday Morning Creation

I have been on leave for the last week, enjoying time to be creative, and yesterday morning I decided it was time to try something I have been wanting to do for a while – resin a table top!

Creating a Resin Tabletop - 1 - The Base

I rescued an old garden table from the  local Tip Shop last week (a bargain at $6).  It was sturdy and solid, with only a smidge of surface rust which I sprayed with an all-in-one primer and paint that had a hammered finish.  I gave it 2 coats and let it dry for 2 days, then I brought it inside and put it on some plastic sheeting ready to resin it.

I prepared my resin, a 2 part epoxy from my local hardware shop, and added small amounts to 7 separate shot cups which had some mica powders (a metallic powder that comes is gorgeous colours) added to them. (Forgot to take a photo of that).   I poured a layer of clear on the table top, spread it all over with my double-gloved hands, and then poured the different colours on.

Once I had added them I hoped they would spread and blend out with a bit of help from my heat gun – but that didn’t work so well, it just blasted a big dimple in the resin – oops.  On to Plan B – the hair dryer:  which also didn’t work very well because it really needed a directional cone to be more precise.  (The youtube videos made it all look much easier).  On to Plan C:  swirl it around with a stick!   Creating a Resin Tabletop - 3 - Swirling (1)

The swirling gave me some lovely colour mixing, finer lines, and some cells on the edges.

Then I checked around the edges to make sure the tape was secured (to stop the resin dripping over the side.

All through this process there was a fair bit of squinting of eyes whilst muttering  “it’s not doing what I want it to do”, and many moments of pondering.  (In my case, “pondering” means wondering what the heck I’m going to do to make it look better).

Creating a Resin Tabletop - 5 - Pondering

I knew that the resin would keep moving for a while yet, and that what I was seeing now would not be what it eventually looked like, but I was still a bit sad at this stage to see that most of the cells and distinct lines were blending together.

Creating a Resin Tabletop - 7 - Finished

In the end, I am happy with the final result.  There isn’t any obvious dimples or spots in the resin, it has set level, and sometimes what you get is what you get.   I have plenty of room for improvement in my resin technique for any future pieces I create, and that’s a good thing to look forward to.

Thanks to Eli for taking these photos whilst I was playing with the sticky stuff.

22 thoughts on “Sunday Morning Creation

• Claudette 12/12/2017 / 8:19 am

That is the question, guess I will have to make some space on the deck.

1. skybright1 11/12/2017 / 5:43 pm

Sorry you didn’t get exactly what you planned for but we both know that life is quite like that at times! I quite like the finished article much better than the “in embryo” article. And like TLV I am wondering the same thing.

• Claudette 12/12/2017 / 8:22 am

Yes, can’t say I was thrilled with the beginning, but the end is ok. It has to wait at least 2 weeks before I put it outside.

2. Osyth 11/12/2017 / 5:57 pm

Oh I like it! The difference for everyone else that ever sees this is that they have no idea what your vision was so take it at face value. This is the pain of creation but take heart, clever lady …. it really is lovely 😊

• Claudette 12/12/2017 / 8:23 am

Thanks Osyth, it is growing on me, but, of course, the more I look the more I see things I want to “fix”. It may get another small topcoat if that urge gets to itchy. 🙂

• Osyth 12/12/2017 / 7:43 pm

You are rather like our friend Brian Lageose I think …. I always enjoy reading his footnotes about the tweaks he has made to whatever he has written. Whatever you do it will be lovely – you are so talented. You and your sister both in fact. My husband has a saying that he uses with his students and team often ‘you need to know when enough is good enough’ … I’m poor at following it – perfectionist runs through the veins of the creative I think! 🤔

3. Jesska 11/12/2017 / 6:26 pm

🙂 one “failure” closer to a working lightbulb? Are you planning on doing some more? I’d never even heard of resining a table before – sounds incredibly sticky 😉 fun tho

• Claudette 12/12/2017 / 8:25 am

🙂 yes, the lightbulbs are getting closer. I am hoping to do some more, it is quite fun, and as long as you wear gloves and don’t touch other things in between it’s not too bad.

4. Ruth 11/12/2017 / 8:43 pm

It looks lovely, Claudette, even if the end result is not quite how you intended 🙂

• Claudette 12/12/2017 / 8:25 am

Thanks Ruth. This is usually how my creations turn out – nothing like what I imagined. 🙂

• Claudette 12/12/2017 / 8:27 am

Thanks CJ. Yes, the blending does soften it, but it is a little more than I was hoping for, I liked it a little better with distinct lines, but that is the “joy” of fluidart.

5. Brian Lageose 12/12/2017 / 4:10 pm

So I’m thinking this is Van Gogh’s painter’s palette, after a long day of experimenting with color…

6. Quirky Girl 14/12/2017 / 1:49 pm

Looks like it made for a fun project. Perhaps it didn’t turn out quite the way you envisioned, but I think it looks awesome. 😀

• Claudette 14/12/2017 / 8:36 pm

That’s nice of you to say (but then you are a nice person). I am getting used to it, and trying to think where the heck I’m going to put it. 🙂

7. RuthsArc 15/12/2017 / 2:49 pm

I like the swirls and final result, Claudette. As with most crate things, it is a learning process of trial and error. Sounds like you are enjoying your holiday time 🙂

• Claudette 16/12/2017 / 7:36 pm

Thanks Ruth, I have been having a great holiday, and, strangely, I am happy about going back to work on Monday too ( a new first for me for a very long time). The leisure to create when, or if, I want has been fantastic.

8. Miriam 18/12/2017 / 7:49 pm

We’re such perfectionists in our creations aren’t we? But I hope you’re happy with it. Looks good to me. Well done you clever lady.

• Claudette 20/12/2017 / 11:50 am

Thanks Miriam. Yes, it is hard to disregard the “it must be perfect” gene 🙂 I’m trying, and I am mostly happy with it for my first attempt – I may just give it another coat – we will see.

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )