I’ve been doing a lot of “art” stuff lately – mostly dried flowers set into resin. Here’s a few photos (since I just upgraded my account and now I have another 3GB to fill with pics).
I have been on leave for the last week, enjoying time to be creative, and yesterday morning I decided it was time to try something I have been wanting to do for a while – resin a table top!
I rescued an old garden table from the local Tip Shop last week (a bargain at $6). It was sturdy and solid, with only a smidge of surface rust which I sprayed with an all-in-one primer and paint that had a hammered finish. I gave it 2 coats and let it dry for 2 days, then I brought it inside and put it on some plastic sheeting ready to resin it.
I prepared my resin, a 2 part epoxy from my local hardware shop, and added small amounts to 7 separate shot cups which had some mica powders (a metallic powder that comes is gorgeous colours) added to them. (Forgot to take a photo of that). I poured a layer of clear on the table top, spread it all over with my double-gloved hands, and then poured the different colours on.
Once I had added them I hoped they would spread and blend out with a bit of help from my heat gun – but that didn’t work so well, it just blasted a big dimple in the resin – oops. On to Plan B – the hair dryer: which also didn’t work very well because it really needed a directional cone to be more precise. (The youtube videos made it all look much easier). On to Plan C: swirl it around with a stick!
The swirling gave me some lovely colour mixing, finer lines, and some cells on the edges.
Then I checked around the edges to make sure the tape was secured (to stop the resin dripping over the side.
I knew that the resin would keep moving for a while yet, and that what I was seeing now would not be what it eventually looked like, but I was still a bit sad at this stage to see that most of the cells and distinct lines were blending together.
In the end, I am happy with the final result. There isn’t any obvious dimples or spots in the resin, it has set level, and sometimes what you get is what you get. I have plenty of room for improvement in my resin technique for any future pieces I create, and that’s a good thing to look forward to.
Thanks to Eli for taking these photos whilst I was playing with the sticky stuff.
Alcohol is good for your brain – well, when it’s mixed with ink and splashed on paper, or china, or glass, or metal, or something I haven’t thought of yet!
Yep. I took the plunge and made my own Alcohol Inks this week, started with 4 colours and then made another 5 yesterday.
Having a fantastic, creative, good time – except for when I breathe it in – then the fumes make my head spin 🙂
Now I’m just wildly looking around my house for the next thing I can splash/spray/dab it on. Think a visit to the op shop is in order, surely I must need more glasses and cups and mugs and jugs and…oooh ….. squillions of things to put it on!
P.S. If you move back about 3 feet from the computer, can you see the little gnomey/monster in the mid right of the photo frame?
No … okay, maybe the alcohol HAS gotten to me 🙂
(Hint: focus on the 2 large white spaces, the third space in between is his/her nose and there is a star on their forehead under their reddish hair).
For a long time I haven’t made any jewellery, but in the last few weeks I have felt an urge to start playing again.
I’ve had the red and silver mokume gane polymer clay components on my work table for over a year! last week I finally made up the smaller set into a pair of earrings for myself, and wrapped them in silver wire with an inbuilt bail so that I didn’t have to drill a hole through them. I’m really happy with them, and the resin on top of the clay makes is shine nicely.
Yesterday I finally took the plunge and made up the larger focal piece into a necklace, I attached the chain to the focal by filling a link with resin and setting it on the back. I’m still not completely happy with the chain going all the way around the neck, as it seems to sit a little stiffly, so I may have to change that at a later date. Maybe half chain links and the other half double strand tubing. I also made up the middle pair of focals into earrings, again attaching handmade wire bails (to hang the hooks through) on the back with resin.
I also remade the ring – prior to yesterday it was swirly wire and pearls, but I never really liked it very much. I carefully unwound the swirls of wire, and then reshaped them to hold the handmade glass cabachon. During this process I got the balance point for the “stone” slightly off, so it is heavier on one end than the other, but I don’t think the gold-wire is up to me unwinding it again to reset the cabachon. I can live with it.
Last week I also played with the three pendants shown here, each has been created using “Prisme” Pebeo Paint. I love how the metallic paints works itself out into patterns, however I have to fight my inclination to push it around and mess up the patterns – so I am trying to learn patience. If you mix 2 different colours (as in the triangle pendant) you can get interesting effects depending on which paint floats and which sinks. I think my favourites is the diamond pendant, these aren’t my normal choice of colours but I think they work really well and the soft tones compliment the “cell” effect.
Today I’ve been playing with some other things, and have part completed a couple of other pendants, but that’s a story for another day!