So, here is the start of my second creation in this irregular “semi-regular” post series.
(Yes, that sounds confusing to me too – best just accept that I will randomly post stuff when I feel the urge to do so, with no set pattern or regularity, even though I may have alluded to the fact that I would, in fact, do so on a semi-regular basis!)
These posts seem to need the “stream of consiousness” approach to how the pieces start to be created, so get ready for the dot points:
- decide I need to create something
- look around my work space to see what is waiting for “inspiration”
- select a 2/3 finished project that has been gathering dust on the bench for months
- celebrate the fact that this project needs wood, and thus, a trip to my local supplier is required
- note: it is always important to justify my emerging addiction
- go to The Wood Guys and appreciate all the gorgeous timber
- touch the timber
- smell the timber
- feast my eyes on the timber – the knots, burls, grains, colours and textures
- let my soul free to find the weird shapes, the cracked, broken and void filled remnants of a living entity, that I am so drawn to
- (yes, I get a bit carried way, but have you ever, truly, looked a beautiful piece of raw timber to appreciate it – you really, really should)
- sadly accept that I cannot buy all of the timber
- – I CANNOT!
- buy more than I need for the current project, because, you know, timber is GOOD.
- drive home, savouring the aroma of raw timber lingering in your personal space.
- change your mind about what you are going to create first, and go completely off plan!
- start all the boring prep work
- sand all the raggedy bits – but not TOO much – I like the character of them
- chop them in half, and arrange them till i get something I think will work
- lay them on acrylic sheet and mark out the size for the form
- measure, cut and sand pine boards to sizes to form the boxwork
- curl up in chair exhausted (but satsified at the progress made)
- daydream of wood, and it’s future melding with resin
……….. to be continued