Red – A Short Paragraph Story

She couldn’t believe how much red there was on her hands, and dripping off the thin knife still held in them. Anger now cooled, she watched as each droplet hit the floor with a small explosion of startling violence, and thought how beautiful the pattern was that it created. Shaking her head at her dreaming, she wondered what she should do now. “Have I really killed you?” she mused, “No, for where there is Death, there is Life”, and she swiped her palette knife over the canvas and a fresh colourful creation was born.

© ceenoa

This story has been percolating in my brain for a month or more.  Thankfully this challenge post from Brian brought it to the boil when he sent me my 3 words yesterday:  startling, colourful, explosion.  As soon as I got them I knew that they fit this short paragraph story, and so, here it is.

Painting #149

12 thoughts on “Red – A Short Paragraph Story

1. lindywhitton 29/03/2018 / 9:29 pm

great story and image!

• Claudette 30/03/2018 / 3:47 pm

Thank you, This one took me much longer that normal to write, as I wanted to get the 3 words “just right”.

• Claudette 30/03/2018 / 3:49 pm

Haha – Thanks Christi. I enjoyed this, although it did take me a lot longer than normal to write this one – I kept fiddling with it because it had to be “just right”. I added, I subtracted – i think i thought i was creating maths! In the end, less was more and I am happy with how it turned out.

2. skybright1 30/03/2018 / 4:21 pm

You should be happy Girl 3. And have you given Brian 3 words to write about?

3. Lily 01/04/2018 / 2:36 pm

Oooh, that is a stunning work of art. Just beautiful.
    Loved the short story too. All sorts of scenarios where running through my head until it reached it’s clever conclusion.

• Claudette 03/04/2018 / 5:59 pm

Glad it amused you my friend, and thanks for the lovely compliment on my art.

4. Hugh's Views and News 02/04/2018 / 12:57 am

I agree this is a super piece of flash fiction, Claudette. It takes the reader on an entirely different path to the one they think they are on. I’m glad you finally let it on the loose.

• Claudette 03/04/2018 / 5:59 pm

That’s a grand compliment from you Hugh,the master of misdirection 🙂 Thanks.

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )