The “Anti”

Halloween

I’m proud to be an “Anti”
– I don’t do Halloween –
’cause, frankly, I don’t get it,
what does it really mean?

The tatty costumes in the shops,
the cheap and tawdry “sell it” dross,
kids walking round the streets at night,
taking candy, from strangers, can never be right!

I’m proud to be an “Anti”
– I don’t do Halloween –
so if tonight you knock on my door,
you better prepare for a “horrible” scene!

© ceenoa

14 thoughts on “The “Anti”

1. Marigold 31/10/2014 / 6:34 pm

Halloween isn’t really popular in Australia, but it’s gaining ground. To be honest, I love the mythos of how it’s the of the last day of autumn where the barrier between here and the dead world blurs (obviously we should be celebrating it in May instead, but we don’t). I like the Irish folk tale of jack’s lantern too. But, I can definitely do without the tacky and over materialised aspect of it 🙂

• Marigold 31/10/2014 / 6:38 pm

Holy shit you’re Australian! I’m sorry for assuming you must be on the other side of the world- it’s usually a successful assumption but this time it backfired. Must learn to read the about page before I start posting comments. Whoops.

• Claudette 31/10/2014 / 6:43 pm

hah 🙂 I DID read yours, which is why I knew you were an Ocker 🙂
        yay, one for me 🙂

• Claudette 31/10/2014 / 6:39 pm

Yes, I get the premise behind it, but Australia has never really had that whole “day of the Dead” celebration in any form. Now we just follow the American trends which really annoy me. It’s just a commercialised excuse for businesses to sell junk here in Australia.
      Oh, and it’s a gross violation of the “take take lollies from strangers” we teach our kids at any other time!
      Rant now over.

• Marigold 31/10/2014 / 6:44 pm

I love reading people’s rants. Sometimes the sheer viciousness brings out really creative stuff 😀

• Claudette 31/10/2014 / 6:48 pm

Yep, sometimes i just wreck myselg laughin, going OMG, OMG, what are you saying! However, sometimes they just get really nasty, and then I move on. I always try to make mine more on the safe side of horrible. At least that is how I hope they turn out.

• Marigold 31/10/2014 / 6:51 pm

“The Safe Side of Horrible” now there’s an attitude to take towards life! It’s so awesome I want to steal it, but I won’t because I’m trying very very hard to be nice 🙂 seriously, you should title your next post with that 😉

• Claudette 31/10/2014 / 6:53 pm

Mmm, things are bubbling in my blender. Thanks for the tip. Keep an eye out for it soon. 🙂 🙂

2. hya21 01/11/2014 / 2:53 am

I feel you. Living in the Caribbean we’re even further removed from the celebration – at least we should be. I recently wrote a post about how it’s been seeping into our culture, and I don’t understand why.
    Nice poem.

• Claudette 01/11/2014 / 8:34 am

Thanks Hya21. Isn’t it frustrating. soon the whole world will just be a conglomeration of “celebrations” that have no reference to our own cultural past.

3. Hugh's Views and News 01/11/2014 / 3:20 am

Oh Claudette, I loved this poem and laughed so much. I wish I could have been there just to have knocked on your door, because I would have loved to have seen that horrible scene. Are you going to tell me what I would have seen? Please.

• Claudette 01/11/2014 / 8:43 am

Well, basically Hugh, the Horrible scene would have been ………Me 😉
      I am not even remotely unhorrible when I get stroppy! I have been know to have a frontal force-field precede me and flatten anything foolish enough to be in it’s vicinity.
      Oh, and don’t get me started on what my hair does – really!