Slug

slug

I am a  squishy slug
on the barrow of your life,
you picked me up and flicked me
which wasn’t really nice.
I agree that I do not
have much to offer you,
yet still I have a purpose
just as you do too.
In case you might be wondering
what purpose that might be,
it’s to leave the silver slime trails
that appear haphazardly.
There is a secret message
if you learn to read them right,
in simple terms it reads
you should respect my life!

© ceenoa

25 thoughts on “Slug

• Claudette 12/02/2017 / 12:50 pm

Thanks Miriam. I was careful not to run it over with the wheelbarrow as i moved on, but maybe I should have rethunk the fling 🙂

1. Brian Lageose 12/02/2017 / 3:21 pm

Clever poem, really, but I’m not sure where you found this picture of me getting out of bed in the morning… 😉

2. skybright1 12/02/2017 / 3:48 pm

It can’t be that bad Brian! Good writing as always daughter. But I am not as merciful as you when a slug and I meet. Flowers lives have to be respected too!

• Claudette 13/02/2017 / 8:17 am

I don’t seem to have much problem with slugs on plants – sometimes a nibble on the petunias, but that’s about it.

3. Osyth 12/02/2017 / 7:54 pm

Squishy is such a wonderful word and slugs have exactly the same rights as we do …. and their silvery trails are actually very lovely – I loved this ode!

• Claudette 13/02/2017 / 8:19 am

Very nice of you to say so, I like their mystical trails too Osyth. I often wonder why slugs are different to snails – maybe one day I will google it, but I like a it of mystery,

• Osyth 15/02/2017 / 7:38 pm

I was being the teeniest bit facetious but it turns out that my nonsense has credence. They are essentially the same thing with the obvious difference that the snail carries his home on his back. I now wonder why some of these Gastropods evolved into nifty mobile home users and some didn’t. Fascinating stuff …. I just know I’ve always rather liked both. And I have always preferred the French name for a slug ‘limace’ (pronounced Leemass) which sounds far less sluggish and unkind to me!

• Claudette 16/02/2017 / 4:46 pm

I wonder too! Have the slugs done something unforgivable that they do not deserve a shell? Mmm – could be a verse in this. Limace does sound much classier 🙂

4. Phil Ryan 13/02/2017 / 12:17 am

Top effort, Claudette, let’s hear it for the slug 🙂 Cute little hedgehogs love them and I don’t tend to argue with them. They can be a little bit prickly.
    Ooh, sorry 🙂

• Claudette 13/02/2017 / 8:22 am

hehe. We don’t have hedgehogs, our equivalent is an echidna and I’m not sure if they eat slugs but they probably do.

5. lindywhitton 13/02/2017 / 3:31 pm

Brought a smile to my dial! A slug is just a homeless snail – now you won’t have to google it.

• Claudette 15/02/2017 / 6:31 pm

Yeah, think there still must be a difference – now I have UB (unlimited Broadband) I’m going to google away like mad 🙂

6. Lily 14/02/2017 / 11:59 am

I always feel a pang of guilt when I accidentally step on a slug.
    Btw, I thought you were writing about my ex in the beginning. 😉

• Claudette 15/02/2017 / 6:33 pm

🙂 🙂 🙂 Oh, bit of a low life was he? Slimy and cold? Perhaps he did metamorphose into a slug.

7. Quirky Girl 16/02/2017 / 10:29 am

This is wonderful! Every living thing has a purpose, and feelings, too! 🙂

• Claudette 16/02/2017 / 4:48 pm

Thanks QG, there is supposed to be a purpose for everything (according to a song I heard once) 😉