Oh, Damn it all

evening-grassApologies to “Danny Boy” but the tune caught in my thoughts, and so the rhythm of the rhyme mimics the song , of a sort.

Oh, damn it all,
the grass, the grass is calling,
from fence to fence,
and down the driveway too,
it’s growing fast,
my garden’s disappearing,
into a jungle green,
of lush, and knee-high grass.

Oh, damn it all,
the grass, the grass is calling,
and I must go,
and get the mower out,
to cut the grass,
when I’d rather I was doing,
anything else, but sitting here,
and thinking grassy thoughts.

And I’ll be back,
next week to do the same thing,
for it is Spring,
and this is what it does,
it torments me,
this verdant, grassy greeness,
so I will go,
and slay it to the ground.

Oh, damn it all,
the grass, the grass is calling,
and I must mow,
and cut it to the ground,
the rain and sun,
will work all week to heal it,
and it will grow again,
and so the vicious circle goes.

© ceenoa

P.S.  Now, admit it – did you try and sing it to the tune? 🙂

29 thoughts on “Oh, Damn it all

1. macmsue 26/11/2017 / 5:58 pm

The grass around our place is dying off and we had a very unwelcome snake basking on a rock too close to our carport for comfort.

• Claudette 27/11/2017 / 7:48 pm

Oh, not liking that. I do have one here each year usually, but he is over by the creek and as long as he stays there it’s ok.

• macmsue 27/11/2017 / 9:27 pm

I think I’ve persuaded the unwelcome visitor to look for a friendlier home. With little grandkids visiting it’s too much of a worry having it lurking too close to the house, carport etc. Yours sounds as though it’s found a spot that suits you both.

• Claudette 29/11/2017 / 7:10 am

Well, it did. But I now have a young, active grandson, so I’m a bit worried about it now. ?) He’s too young to be outside by himself yet, so that’s a plus, but he moves soooo fast.

2. skybright1 26/11/2017 / 6:24 pm

Excellent, of course I couldn’t actually keep the tune but that’s a sure hit song!!!!!!!

• Claudette 27/11/2017 / 7:48 pm

Hah, only for lawn mowing masochists, I think.

3. Brian Lageose 26/11/2017 / 6:24 pm

Yeppers, I couldn’t help but sing along to the tune. But a small part of me is wondering why you’re making such a fuss about new growth when mere weeks ago you were yearning for Spring to arrive. Does this mean that none of us are ever really satisfied?… 😉

• Claudette 27/11/2017 / 7:50 pm

Of course. BUT, it actually was because I have fallen behind in my grass-mowing schedule, so now it is longer and I haven’t had any time to do any craft/painting/inking/reading/just existing this last week & half. I don’t like the pressure of it all 🙂 Still only 1/8 done, as it started to rain – so look out for more angst driven, grass growing related verbiage.

4. Osyth 26/11/2017 / 7:52 pm

I’ve sung this right through twice. The second in honour of my late mother-in-law who never EVER mowed nor allowed another to mow her lawn. Therefore she was often to be found on a balmy day in her sunhat like person misplaced in the pampas as she lay on her sun lounger writing waspishly witty letters and sipping Pimms. Thank you so much for the inadvertent memory jogger and I may copy this down to sing to my husband when spring springs again in our hemisphere 😉

• Claudette 27/11/2017 / 7:54 pm

Ah Osyth, you are a treasure to be, well, treasured 🙂 Love that image of your MIL, toes twitching in the grass. Please do sing it to your man, but understand I thin it went a little off tune/rhythm in a couple of spots – Poetic Licence, don’t ya know 🙂

5. Tish Farrell 26/11/2017 / 8:49 pm

I did! It’s great, Claudette. I think I might adapt it for dandelions – which even as winter approaches here cannot keep their heads down.

• Claudette 27/11/2017 / 7:56 pm

Hi Tish, so glad you, and so many others, could not resist the tune 🙂 I am sure dandelions can be welcomed into the fold. Actually, I quite like them and fee sorry for them as I mow them down, and the buttercups too, which are everywhere right now.

• Claudette 27/11/2017 / 7:56 pm

Actually, I do quite like it. it’s a bit zen to sit on my ride-on and just steer it around. BUT, at the moment the grass is long, I want to do other stuff, and I’m a bit stressed about it. hence, the thought process.

6. C. J. Hartwell 28/11/2017 / 5:18 am

This was great! I’ll have to keep it for when when we are in grass-growing season again!

• Claudette 29/11/2017 / 7:13 am

Thanks CJ. Full blown grass growing down here at the moment. Went out last night and re-mowed the bit I mowed only 3 days ago (just so it would match with the bit I mowed last night – and it had grown at least 1/4 inch in that time). Still have the front part to do today (going to be hot here today, so that may have to wait till evening).

7. DeeScribes 28/11/2017 / 6:56 am

As we are heading into winter, I love thinking that in a few months it will be spring and we’ll have this ‘problem’ again.

• Claudette 29/11/2017 / 7:14 am

Hi Dee, Spring is lovely, don’t get me wrong, but grass growing frenetically challenges me a little bit int he time department 🙂 Enjoy your colder season, and spring will roll around again in no time.

8. wdfyfe 01/12/2017 / 5:50 am

I’ll bet you could make enough money writing songs to hire a gardener.
    Oh dear Claudette
    I think you need a gardener
    To cut your grass
    And mix you drinks as well
    And if the drinks
    Are heavy on the alcohol
    Just have two more
    And the grass can go to hell

• Claudette 02/12/2017 / 2:18 pm

As my writing is not likely to generate enough income , I shall take your verse as my battle song, and I shall sing it as I go to war against the grass 🙂 Thanks WD 🙂

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w