Wordpress Suggestions

Anyone else ever notice those “suggestions” at the top of your reader?

I noticed them a while back, when one day it had some weird topic (can’t remember what it was exactly now) which made me go WHAT?!

I’ve been keeping an eye on mine today, pondering the offerings, and I really wonder about what sort of algorithm they are using, or is it just totally random?

Todays’ suggestions – in between reading posts are as follows:

Suggestions#1: Pride, Robots, Colorado.
Suggestions#2: Farm, DIY, Books.
Suggestions#3: Robots, Batman, Psychology.
Suggestions#4: Sharks, Vegan, Politics.

I think it’s the combinations that get me – #4 is particularly quirky, with the poor Vegans bracketed by sharks on both sides.

Perhaps WordPress is sending some secret code out to us all – if only we knew how to interpret it.

24 thoughts on “Wordpress Suggestions

1. Jesska 16/09/2018 / 9:22 pm

How very bizarre!

I generally use WordPress on my phone these days – no suggestions here.. But I am intrigued enough to log onto the computer and find out what I get. I will let you know 🙂

• Claudette 17/09/2018 / 8:15 pm

I can use the phone – it just frustrates me because it is so small, and takes too long to type stuff in.
      be interested to see what you get.

• Jesska 20/09/2018 / 6:57 pm

Daily post, glassblowing, glass…
        Staff picks, glass, house..
        Daily post, nanopoblano, staff picks..
        Nablopomo, house, staff picks..
        Daily post, glassblowing, house..
        Glassblowing, organise, staff picks
        Daily prompt, relationships, glassblowing
        Organise, daily post, glass

I seem to have a much smaller pool of words to choose from than you… (and a far less interesting life if they were anything to judge by!)

• Claudette 20/09/2018 / 7:06 pm

Are these the ones that show as “suggestions” at the top of your reader (when you log in to WordPress and see all the posts)? That is weird. ine are definitely strange nd random, and nothing to do with anything I am interested in.

• Jesska 20/09/2018 / 7:07 pm

Yeah, they’re in small blue writing directly under the search box..

• Claudette 20/09/2018 / 7:10 pm

I’m now wondering if it is because you have entered similar as “tags” you like. I don’t have any, so maybe that is why I get really weird stuff – it’s trying to figure me out? hahaha

• Jesska 20/09/2018 / 7:16 pm

Yes… I’ve just found and deleted mine and I now have:
                Cocktails, craft beer, motivation (!!)
                Elasticsearch, garden, red sox (?)
                Dogs, writing, DIY
                Beautiful, hiking, anime
                Philosophy, community pool, craft beer (full circle?)
                Garden, photography, bloom (apparently not)
                Tibet, dogs, books
                Philosophy, toddlers, life
                Scenic, fashion, farm

Yeah, they’re much more interesting.. Can’t imagine what I was thinking when I added “organise” as a tag… Must be a long time ago 😉

• Claudette 20/09/2018 / 7:26 pm

Ah ha – definitely more diverse 🙂 Love it – especially the Philospphy, community pool, craft beer combination – what a story that would make!

2. Dick Dastardly 16/09/2018 / 10:01 pm

I must admit I’d never noticed. I’ll yake a butchers later. I like the way you equate politicians with sharks although I think sharks are far more intelligent and certainly less slimy

• Claudette 17/09/2018 / 8:16 pm

I agree, sharks are much better people than politicians 🙂

3. Hugh's Views and News 16/09/2018 / 10:04 pm

That’s so strange, Claudette. The suggestions I get seem to be linked to tags I entered when I first joined WordPress and when I did that online blogging 101 course (which is where our blogging paths first crossed). I think one exercise was to add tags so that it brought up blog posts we may be interested in reading.

• Claudette 17/09/2018 / 8:18 pm

I do remember fondly Bloggin 101.
      I think they must just be random Hugh, certainly I never added, or searched for, these tags – to anything, ever 🙂

• Hugh's Views and News 17/09/2018 / 8:28 pm

How strange. I have 5 tags – the five we were encouraged to enter on Blogging 101. And, although they do change, it’s only three of those five tags that ever show up. Unless, of course, I’ve missed some others. I’ll keep a lookout. 😀

4. The Lockwood Echo 16/09/2018 / 10:40 pm

Toddlers, Cute, Mountain Biking.
    As soon as I saw your post title I scrolled up to see what mine were today. I too get some wild suggestions that bear no relationship to each other or what I read. I don’t use searches, so maybe that’s why they’re so random! I like the idea they could be a secret code. We should use them as prompts, in the style of Mr Lageose’s Bonnywood 3 Word Challenge. 😉

• Claudette 17/09/2018 / 8:19 pm

I ws thinking the same thing WD, Be a hoot to try and work those random tags into something resembling sense for a post. What say we give it a bash?

• The Lockwood Echo 17/09/2018 / 10:40 pm

I’d be up for that 😊. We could nominate a particular day’s words, present our words for someone else to tackle or just pluck a selection that tickled our fancy! As it’s your post, I think you should decide the way forward 😉. The Lockwood Echo is having to sit on the back burner for now, but I will keep a look out and join this party as soon as I can. 🤗

• Claudette 20/09/2018 / 7:01 pm

Ooh, exciting. I think we should jsut nominate a date – and then go with whatever sows up as your “suggestions”. I’ll put a little post up shortly about it, and see if anyone else is keen to have a go.
          Thanks 🙂

5. Quirky Girl 21/09/2018 / 12:35 am

Poor vegans would probably prefer to be in a category with Batman and robots, not various varieties of sharks. Yikes!

6. CJ Hartwell 21/09/2018 / 7:10 am

I was thinking they sound like writing prompts too. Really weird ones, which are the best kind.

7. Brian Lageose 24/09/2018 / 2:04 pm

As with some of the other folks, I really hadn’t paid much attention to the suggestions. Now, of course, I am completely fascinated, and I will keep a keen eye on the what appears until I stumble across an odd combination that compels me to write a whimsical ode to something or other…

• Claudette 25/09/2018 / 6:55 pm

Sounds like a plan that can be very flexible – whihc is good. Mine today are Robots, Sunday Brunch and Happy Place! (I think it has a robot fixation!)>

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )