Flash Flood

Like a flash flood in the desert,
I feel the oncoming rumble in my bones,
before the groundswell hits.

Engulfed, I struggle to breathe,
not knowing which way is up or down,
tumbling with the fierce tide pounding me.

An eternity, in a moment of white noise,
trying to ride the wave until it dissipates,
to be left bruised and bedraggled.

Stranded, on some random ground,
I crawl upright to start again,
the long walk back from grief.

© ceenoa

19 thoughts on “Flash Flood

1. Lily 24/04/2016 / 8:53 pm

In the words of the modern teen, this poem “gives me the feels.”
    Very emotive poem which touched me on a much deeper level and brought to mind my struggle with illness and the grief at leaving my old self behind.

• Claudette 25/04/2016 / 8:51 am

I think most of us have these feelings at one time or another, and maybe we don’t even recognise them as grief at the time. I was thinking about it yesterday as they came in waves, almost like contractions really, and hoping that it means that something new is birthing (but it has been/is a long, long labour)!

• Lily 25/04/2016 / 4:40 pm

True, those waves aren’t always recognisable as grief, which is not as obvious a feeling as one would expect. But I like that thought that from something so awful, comes something new.

• Claudette 25/04/2016 / 7:47 pm

Yes, I try to hold onto that thought too Lily, sometimes it is very slippery though.

• Lily 26/04/2016 / 12:19 am

Yeah, I get that. I’ve lost too many and too much in the past couple of years. Hope is a slippery slope.

• Claudette 26/04/2016 / 8:05 pm

Hugs. (oops, is that too icky? – I meant it in a totally un-icky way – like survivor hugs).

• Lily 27/04/2016 / 12:16 am

Hahaha! No, not icky at all. Hugs sent your way, and I totally mean in an icky way. 🙂

• Claudette 25/04/2016 / 8:53 am

Just how it feels to me. Thanks for dropping by and commenting.

2. lindywhitton 24/04/2016 / 11:44 pm

Hope the flashfloods come less often and the walk gets shorter.
    xox

• Claudette 25/04/2016 / 8:53 am

That would be good. I’m hoping all the rain hastens the growth of good things.

3. skybright1 25/04/2016 / 10:59 am

Excellent writing but a sad topic. But then sometimes the “sad” topics bring out the deeper thoughts within us and they occasionally leak out of our fingertips onto the keyboard.

4. RuthsArc 25/04/2016 / 3:42 pm

Striking words to describe life’s highs and lows, ups and downs. As you say in comments, sometimes we need the shake up in order to make forward steps.

• Claudette 25/04/2016 / 7:47 pm

Thank you for your kidn words Ruth. I was trying to be positive, but sometimes it’s just a drag – however thankfully these days it doesn’t last for too long.

• Claudette 04/05/2016 / 8:31 am

Yep, we all get it sometimes. Commiserations.

5. Phil Ryan 10/02/2017 / 12:29 am

A brilliant poem, Claudette full of evocative language albeit crushingly sad…

• Claudette 11/02/2017 / 7:38 pm

Thanks very much Phil. I do not like it much when it happens, but it made a good verse.