Not the C F Lullaby

Dear Bloggy-friend Lily, I promised you a lullaby, and I had composed a cracker of one driving to work on Tuesday, but as usual I had forgotten it by the time I was anywhere I could write it down.  All I remember now was that I was going to call it “The C F Lullaby”.  The C F was optional as to what it might signify, there were a couple of thoughts running through my head, and doubtless through yours also – please feel free to assign them at your leisure.

Anyway, the C F Lullaby has been lost to the swervy pathways of my verse-riddled brain, and this is what I came up with tonight.  It is nowhere as elegant as the first that I thought of – (I can safely say that as no-one other than me actually knows what I thought first, and all I can remember now is the feel of it – a bit clever, a bit neat, a bit soporific) – but I offer it in good faith, and great wishes that it may induce a state of  boredom, which will lead to sleep, if you read it enough times!

Hush painful body, please don’t make me cry,
I don’t have the energy, and you know that’s not a lie.
Please just let me lay here and try to go to sleep,
you know I’m over counting all the bloody sheep.

Hush aching body, relax here on the bed,
forget about the worries filling up my head.
Ignore my restless legs with an agenda of their own,
all I want to do now is find the sleep zone.

Hush stupid body, you make me feel so mad,
for all the things I cannot do, since I lost the life I had.
I’ve only got one purpose now, to sleep the night away,
so I can wake up with some energy to face another day.

Hush sleepy body, I am very thankful that,
we made it through the day somehow, and had this little chat.
So this same time tomorrow, when its time to sleep,
don’t make me sing this song again before unconsciousness I meet.

15 thoughts on “Not the C F Lullaby

1. SauceBox 25/05/2017 / 6:37 pm

Love it! Great stuff! You’ve got my follow. Check out my comedy blog and give it a follow if you like it!

• Claudette 27/05/2017 / 9:03 am

Thank you, for your kind words and your follow. I certainly shall check out your blog.

2. Miriam 25/05/2017 / 10:12 pm

I could actually hear this in my head as a lullaby as I read it … and I could so relate. 😴💤 Great job.

• Claudette 26/05/2017 / 2:38 pm

Ah, that is so sad 🙂 Thanks for liking it though. Hope your sleep finds you soon.

3. Lily 26/05/2017 / 4:59 am

I’m sort of half way between grinning inanely and crying. I’ve read it through multiple times and nope, it doesn’t induce a state of boredom, just a wistful smile. Never mind what the original lullaby was meant to be, this is sheer perfection and a beautiful representation of my night time struggles.
    Seriously, I love this so much that I’m going to print it and frame it, and when you win the Pulitzer prize for best poet, sell it. (just kidding)
    Thank you so much Claudette, you’ve not only made my day, but you’ve also made my night. ❤

Btw, is it okay if I share this on my Facebook page?

• Claudette 26/05/2017 / 2:40 pm

Share away, my friend, I am humbled that you would wish to. 🙂 I love the idea that my words are framed somewhere (you are the second blogger who has blessed me with that – different poems though). I do truly hope it may help you sleep somenight, but I don’t think it is actually very soothing – but laughing is a good thing, right?

• Lily 26/05/2017 / 4:33 pm

I’m not surprised that someone else wanted to frame your words. I would gladly buy a collection of those words. And yes, laughing is a good thing. Laughing is to me as salt is to meat…which…er..is a weird analogy for a vegetarian…
        Thanking ye kind lady. 🙂

• Claudette 27/05/2017 / 8:41 am

Perhaps it’s salt to lettuce or cucumber. Although I always worry a little about eating cucumber since my youngest told me they have a nervous system.

• Lily 28/05/2017 / 10:27 am

Haha! Eating cucumbers. Yet more thing to feel guilty about.

4. Brian Lageose 26/05/2017 / 9:55 am

If the original was even better than this, I strongly suggest you get to a hypnotherapist and have him coax the first version out of your subconscious, as this new version is quite fine, indeed…

• Claudette 26/05/2017 / 2:42 pm

Ah, you are very kind to say so. I have been racking my brains to try and remember it, but alas to no avail. Maybe one day I will have a little recorder in my car (can’t use the phone as I am driving) to capture these meandering thoughts …maybe not!