Inventive Language

I’m thinking about recording a new language – I’ve got 2 words so far this week!  (I didn’t say it was going to be a very verbose language, now did I?)

Of course, you may have already had some exposure to the first word in my new language, from this post earlier in the week, and I am glad to report that “irky” seems to have been well received.  By the way, it is pronounced irk-ee? (and it absolutely must have the rising inflection emphasis of the question mark on the ee, otherwise it just sounds silly!)

So, pluffelled (ooh, there’s another word – now I have 3) up with the exuberance for new words, my brain threw this one up/out tonight:

SPLODDELLED  (splod-delled)

For those folks who might be having trouble grasping the meaning of this fine new word – and let’s face it, who wouldn’t – I have bunged it into some context in the following sentence:   “I sploddelled my wine on my desk when I lifted up the glass too fast”.
Yes, fine linguists everywhere, cringe at the monstrosity that is my brain trying to describe events of wine spillage!

Oh, and in case you might be wondering about my third word, pluffelled (pluff-elled), which I just birthed above – it means “puffed up like a proud peacock displaying it’s plumage”. Sounds exactly like that, don’t you think?

So, there you have it – 3 new words for my brand new language – now I only need to find a name for my language, any suggestions?

30 thoughts on “Inventive Language

1. lindywhitton 27/07/2018 / 10:23 pm

I love your new words and if I may be so bold here’s one for you to consider – tronkling (tronk- ling). This can be used to describe the act of taking a gentle amble along an alpine path. It is definitely geographically isolated to mountain tracks and should not be used at low altitude. I added this to my personal vocab a few years ago and have been enjoying it ever since.

• Claudette 28/07/2018 / 5:36 pm

Oh, yes, tronkling has a definite mountain amble sound to it. Well done.

• Ali 28/07/2018 / 5:44 pm

This reminded me of ‘kronking’ – crouching down to relieve oneself on a walk; hiding behind a bush and hoping no one will come along.

• Claudette 28/07/2018 / 5:51 pm

eek, see, this is an excellent reason, if anymore were needed, as to why you don’t go bushwalking.

2. wdfyfe 28/07/2018 / 3:01 am

I love invented new words. The Germans are great at it. Perhaps you could call it Claudetese or Claudetish.

• Claudette 28/07/2018 / 5:37 pm

🙂 Perhaps I shall shorten it een more and call it Clodets 🙂 🙂 :0

3. Osyth 28/07/2018 / 5:56 am

I love invented words and we are in good company …. after all Shakespeare and James Joyce are just two examples of the greats who simply made up their own when existing language didn’t cover it. Since I know you love Pam Ayres, do take a look at Stanley Unwin, a glorious gentleman now sadly long gone who did just as you might … he created his own language – Unwinese. I had the absolute pleasure of meeting him once and doing some work with him. He called me ‘Cotswold Cuddlyfold’ an accolade that nestles deep in my heart with the warmest of warmlies. Deep joy. http://www.stanleyunwin.com 😊

• Claudette 28/07/2018 / 5:38 pm

Oh, he sounds delightful just from the name he called you. I shall click and look him up. Thanks Osyth, you really do know the best people.

• Osyth 29/07/2018 / 12:06 am

I’ve been very fortunate to have met some wonderful people … I think it had a lot to do with living an entirely unplanned life which considering my general need for order is fortune indeed!!!

4. Quirky Girl 28/07/2018 / 7:39 am

Pluffelled sounds like it could double as both a word and the name of a new language… 😀

5. Brian Lageose 28/07/2018 / 1:48 pm

I’ve had this tab open in my browser for several hours so I wouldn’t forget about it, contemplating various names for your new language. It seems like I should be able to come up with something quirky but fun, but my inspiration is gasping and wheezing. Maybe something will hit me in the middle of the night, and I will holler out for Scotch to make a note on his CatPad. In the mean time, you have inspired me to drag out an older post wherein I created some of my own vocabulary, and I’m tidying that up for my next post on Bonnywood. So my lack of inspiration has led to an alternate inspiration. I wonder what word you could come up with for that condition?

• Ali 28/07/2018 / 5:42 pm

More of a phrase, but an ‘ideas buffet’? I find reading blogs is like visiting an ideas buffet.

• Claudette 28/07/2018 / 5:49 pm

It certainly is – you can admire so many different things.

• Claudette 28/07/2018 / 5:42 pm

I am deeply humchufapy that you would think so much upon my little verbosity monstrosity. I read your post and chirtled all the way through it – as usual.
      I think floversion could be the appropriate word to describe your condition. The flow on effect of diversionary inspiration.

6. Ali 28/07/2018 / 5:40 pm

I love new words too. My favourites are both from my mum: ‘discumknockerated’ for an object, e.g. door knob, that falls apart in your hands, and ‘holey plonkitt’ for a hole-punch.

• Claudette 28/07/2018 / 5:49 pm

hahah – what wonderful words they are too.

7. Peace Kathure 29/07/2018 / 1:26 am

sploddelled is my new favorite new word now! I’m always sploddelleding/sploddelling wine all over myself 🙂 Looking forward to more new languages

8. CJ Hartwell 03/08/2018 / 3:50 am

As enjoyable as this post is, and your new language, I must say that these comments are the scroochiest I’ve ever read. Well done!

• Claudette 03/08/2018 / 8:30 pm

Ooh, not that is a yummy sounding word – scroochiest. Please enlighten me further as to the meaningfullness wordybit of this delight.

• CJ Hartwell 04/08/2018 / 4:05 am

Scroochy
        adjective
        superlative adjective: scroochiest
        a satisfying communication; a humorous or pleasant interaction
        “My, but that was a scroochy blog post Claudette wrote.”

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )