For a long time I haven’t made any jewellery, but in the last few weeks I have felt an urge to start playing again.
I’ve had the red and silver mokume gane polymer clay components on my work table for over a year! last week I finally made up the smaller set into a pair of earrings for myself, and wrapped them in silver wire with an inbuilt bail so that I didn’t have to drill a hole through them. I’m really happy with them, and the resin on top of the clay makes is shine nicely.
Yesterday I finally took the plunge and made up the larger focal piece into a necklace, I attached the chain to the focal by filling a link with resin and setting it on the back. I’m still not completely happy with the chain going all the way around the neck, as it seems to sit a little stiffly, so I may have to change that at a later date. Maybe half chain links and the other half double strand tubing. I also made up the middle pair of focals into earrings, again attaching handmade wire bails (to hang the hooks through) on the back with resin.
I also remade the ring – prior to yesterday it was swirly wire and pearls, but I never really liked it very much. I carefully unwound the swirls of wire, and then reshaped them to hold the handmade glass cabachon. During this process I got the balance point for the “stone” slightly off, so it is heavier on one end than the other, but I don’t think the gold-wire is up to me unwinding it again to reset the cabachon. I can live with it.
Last week I also played with the three pendants shown here, each has been created using “Prisme” Pebeo Paint. I love how the metallic paints works itself out into patterns, however I have to fight my inclination to push it around and mess up the patterns – so I am trying to learn patience. If you mix 2 different colours (as in the triangle pendant) you can get interesting effects depending on which paint floats and which sinks. I think my favourites is the diamond pendant, these aren’t my normal choice of colours but I think they work really well and the soft tones compliment the “cell” effect.
Today I’ve been playing with some other things, and have part completed a couple of other pendants, but that’s a story for another day!